For years I was a chronic breakfast skipper. It was only once I began my own weight loss journey that I started to eat, and fell in love with breakfast on a daily basis. I now eat breakfast like a king, without doubt it is the biggest meal of my day.
I like to mix my breakfasts up, if time allows I will often opt for a hot meal of cooked vegetables, perhaps an egg or two. Sometimes I eat cereal, but never the shop bought kind…..I always found purchased gluten free cereals to be either hohum or way too expensive to justify (expect for gluten free Weetbix of course, I bow down to whoever invented that).
One cereal I’ve always enjoyed is good old toasted muesli, but again, the gluten free versions are often too expensive, and often the sugar content is far to high to even consider justifying.
I came up with the delicious toasted muesli which is full of my favorites – nuts! I’m telling you, I think I would eat anything if nuts were one of the ingredients…. in this one I’ve used almonds and cashews, feel free to experiment with the nuts you like best. One ingredient I do not recommend you skip though is the salt, I like to use Himalayan Rock Salt which you can pick up from one of my favorite online suppliers, Bulk Wholefoods.
Feel free to use my recipe as a base, add and subtract ingredients that YOU LOVE! Food should be a pleasure after all!
- 2 cups brown puffed rice
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 3 tabs coconut oil
- 1 tsp organic vanilla powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 160, fan-forced
- Line slice-sized tin with baking paper
- Roughly chop nuts
- Place all ingredients in tray and stir to combine
- Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and stir
- Return to oven and cook for a few more minutes (watch that your muesli doesn't burn)
- Once cool store in an airtight container for up to three weeks
- Try this muesli with your favorite milk and topped with fresh berries.
- My oven burns hot so you may need to adjust the temperature slightly up - just keep an eye on it as it will burn quickly